Sunday, November 2, 2008

Vermiculture Q&A

Dear Alex,

I am gonna set up a worm compost for my house this week and I was hoping you could give me a couple pointers. Do you know any place that sells composting systems? Or instructions online or somethings? What about the worms...? Thanks!

j

Dear j,

You can get a discounted worm bin through the County of Alameda through the website below. Its called the "Wriggly Wranch Worm Bin" and its what we have here at HiP House. I've heard you can get worms at the Berkeley farmers market, but there is a list of worm vendors on the website as well.

https://www.stopwaste.org/AlamedaCommerce/ProductList.aspx?View=Detail&ProductId=14

Once you get the bin, you layer food waste, worms, and then shredded newspaper. Be careful because the worms are rather selective about what they'll eat, for instance no citrus or onions. They also prefer that their food be chopped into small pieces.

I think that website, including the informational video should be enough to get you started, but let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help!  Also, a classic reference is Mary Appelhof's book Worms Eat My Garbage.


Alex




No comments: